Volunteering Is a Great Way to Support the Indiana Free Library!
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Indiana Free Library.
Our volunteers play a vital part in maintaining the Indiana Free Library's high standard of service, and those contributions are always appreciated. We offer two opportunities for you to get involved as a volunteer.
Outreach Volunteer Program
This program is intended for those seeking occasional volunteer opportunities throughout the year.
Outreach volunteers are called on to assist staff with programs and events inside and outside the library and may be asked to help set up for events, prepare materials for programs, and/or accompany the outreach librarian to off-site events. Those with an education background or experience are a plus.
- · At least 16 years of age
- If 18 and older, able to obtain Pa. State Police Criminal Record and Pa. DHS Child Abuse History clearances, as well as sign a disclosure statement (for those residing continuously in Pa. for the past 10 years) or obtain FBI Criminal History clearance (for all others), before starting service
- · Willing to work with the public
- · Have good customer service skills
- · Have a general knowledge of the library and its mission
- · Evening and Saturday availability is essential
For questions regarding the Outreach Volunteer Program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Shelver Program
There are few experiences in the library more frustrating than going to the shelf to find a book that the catalog says is available, only to discover that the item is not where it’s supposed to be. Our volunteer shelvers are the first line of defense against those pesky misplaced books!
This program is intended for those seeking a long-term, weekly volunteer opportunity.
Members of the volunteer shelver team shelve library materials in their proper place, check the shelves to ensure that they are in order, and sort carts of materials to be shelved. Training is provided.
Qualified candidates for the Volunteer Shelver Program will be:
- At least 16 years of age;
- If 18 and older, able to obtain Pa. State Police Criminal Record and Pa. DHS Child Abuse History clearances, as well as sign a disclosure statement (for those residing continuously in Pa. for the past 10 years) or obtain FBI Criminal History clearance (for all others), before starting service;
- Able to accurately arrange English-language materials alphabetically and numerically;
- Able to push and pull moderately heavy loads and to kneel, bend, climb, and stretch frequently;
- Detail-oriented, precise, reliable, responsible, and able to work independently;
- Willing to commit to at least one year (or one academic year for students) of volunteer service; and
- Available for a 2-hour shift one or two afternoons and/or evenings a week (excluding weekends).
For questions regarding the Volunteer Shelver Program, email: email@example.com
Fill Out a Volunteer Application Today
Volunteer applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and are available at the library's front desk. Qualified candidates who meet the library’s needs will be contacted as openings arise. Qualified candidates’ applications will be kept on file for 1 year.