A History of Indiana Free Library
In 1901 a women's civic organization was formed from a group of 25 women who had a high literary interest. This civic group was and is still today known as the New Century Club. In 1904 they established a Reading Room above Graff's Market on North 6th Street in Indiana. This room consisted of one book shelf made of packing boxes from the H.C. Christy Shoe Store. In 1908 the reading room needed more space and moved across the street to the Wissell building. The growth of the reading room proved a need for a trained librarian.
On February 13, 1908 the NCC sponsored a book social to acquaint the community with the idea for a library to be established in the community center. But it wasn't until 1926 that the reading room was reorganized and became known as the Indiana Free Library.
The NCC was the library's main support in those days and continued to be until 1914 when the school district started to donate money. From the minutes of the NCC secretary's book, "If the reading room makes one boy or girl refrain from foolishness and awakens a taste for something worthwhile, the expenditure has not been in vain."
In 1930 the Indiana Free Library moved to the McCartney Homestead of SE Corner of North 8th and Water Streets in Indiana and in this year the Indiana Borough began to fund the library.
Finally in 1934 the Indiana Free Library moved to the community center which is its present location.
White Township began contributing financial support to the library in 1972. The Indiana School District contributed funds in the beginning of the library's history in 1914 and recommitted funding to the library in 1989. These funds entitle every resident of Indiana Borough, White Township, Armstrong Township and Shelocta Borough the opportunity to secure a free membership card for access to all facilities and services.
Today, the Indiana Free Library has approximately 88,000 holdings and services 32,924 patrons. The library currently offers children and adult programming on a regular basis. Also, the library offers free public access to the Internet.
The current Library Board consists of seventeen (17) members who represent White Township, Indiana Borough, and Indiana School District. The Library Board meets monthly with the exception of July, August, and December.